DC Prep honored the Class of 2017 tonight at a graduation ceremony filled with proud families, friends, team members, and alumni of the Edgewood Middle Campus. In keeping with DC Prep’s tradition, 100% of this year’s graduates have been accepted by college-prep high schools. Among the schools the Class of 2017 will be attending are: Banneker, Georgetown Prep, National Cathedral School, St. Albans, School Without Walls, Sidwell Friends School, and Woodberry Forest.
The graduation ceremony, held at The Catholic University of America’s Hartke Theatre, included student remarks by Jianni Woodson-Brooks and Poet Laureate J’yona Calloway* as well as an address by Tawfiq Abdul-Karim, a Class of 2009 alum.
The 8th grade graduates also honored Malik Shelton – a classmate who died in 2013 – by awarding him an honorary DC Prep diploma and presenting his family with a plant the class has nurtured in his memory, year after year.
Additionally, DC Prep alumni distributed the following awards to the graduates:
- The Eakin Leadership Award (Named for founding Board Members Lindsay and Terry Eakin, presented to the student demonstrating outstanding leadership while at DC Prep): Malik Holley
- The Principal’s Academic Award (Given to the class valedictorian, with the highest overall GPA): Peniel Ouabo
- The Reverend Robinson Community Contribution Award (Named for founding DC Prep Board Member, Reverend Donald E. Robinson, given to student who contributes to the DC Prep community both in and beyond the classroom): Portia Oparaocha
- The Inaugural Determination Award (Named for President and Chief Academic Officer Katie Severn, for a student displaying tremendous grit, perseverance, and personal character): Ana Onofre
- The Founder’s Award (DC Prep’s highest honor, named for founder Emily Lawson, given to a student who best exemplifies a combination of all three objectives of DC Prep’s mission – academics, character, and leadership): Ever Torres
Congratulations to DC Prep’s Class of 2017!