- About DC Prep
- Our Program
- Our Schools
- Get Involved
For the third consecutive year, DC Prep is the top-performing network of public schools in the nation’s capital, based on results from the 2014 District of Columbia Comprehensive Assessment System (DC CAS).
The state-level results, released today by DC Mayor Vincent Gray and other education officials at DC Scholars Stanton Elementary, demonstrate the efficacy of DC Prep’s educational model and serve as a proof point for successful urban education. Some accomplishments of note include:
• The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) designated three DC Prep schools – Edgewood Middle Campus (EMC), Benning Middle Campus (BMC), and Benning Elementary (BEC) – as “Reward” schools, the highest level of distinction based on outstanding achievement and growth. Approximately 15% of schools in DC achieved this distinction. Additionally, the DC Public Charter School Board (PCSB) ranked EMC, BMC, and the Edgewood Elementary Campus (EEC) among the ten highest-performing charter schools citywide.
• EMC is once again the #1 public charter school with the highest scores on the DC CAS general assessment.
• EMC 4th-8th grade students continue to uphold their tradition of excellence, with 81% proficient in Reading – the school’s highest-ever Reading proficiency rate – and 92% proficient in Math, 56% of whom were at the advanced level. Among 8th graders, 100% were proficient in Math, with 78% scoring at the advanced level.
• In its inaugural year, BMC earned a spot as the #5 charter school in the city! First year scores showed 78% of 4th graders proficient or advanced in Reading while 84% achieved those levels in Math.
• EEC 3rd graders achieved an all-time high in their Math proficiency rate of 81% proficient, with 25% scoring at the advanced level. In addition, 70% scored proficient in Reading – making EEC the top-performing elementary charter school in the city.
• BEC made double-digit gains in both Reading and Math – rising from 59%-69% in Math – just over a ten-point increase, while Reading proficiency rose 16 percentage points – from 54%-70%. BEC’s growth in 3rd grade Reading was 81 times greater than the city’s average growth.
“On behalf of the Board of Directors, I congratulate each and every member of the DC Prep Community – students, their families, faculty, and staff – on another tremendous year of accomplishment, with special recognition to our two Benning Campuses for truly outstanding results,” said Terry Eakin, DC Prep’s Board Chair. “To be the #1 network of public charter schools for three years running proves that our model is working – and DC Prep is playing a vital role in closing the achievement gap citywide.”
2014 DC CAS results and DC Prep’s comparative standing are exclusively based on information released by the PCSB and OSSE as of July 31, 2014.
To download the full press release, click here.